Fedora 15, new and exciting plans

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Mon Nov 15 02:41:56 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 07:48:36PM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:

> LVM is important and useful for managing storage. If, in the future, we have
> ZFS-like features in btrfs or whatever, okay, we can talk about getting rid
> of it. But a few-second gain in boot time is really, really, really not
> worth it. And yeah, I mean the desktop/laptop case, not just servers. (In
> fact, with suspend/hibernate working so well these days, I think I reboot my
> servers more often than my laptop.)

LVM's a fantasically useful tool in a wide range of cases, but I don't
think that in the *typical* laptop/desktop install any of that
functionality ever gets used. The question is really whether there's
enough people that know nothing about LVM at install time but will make
use of it later that doing it by default is beneficial - if not, there's
a reasonable argument for it being a well-tested optional feature at
least, although it would obviously be preferable to address its
shortcomings to the point where there's no desire to do so. But that
would involve someone who understands the issues sufficiently to be
doing the work.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org