sched_autogroup interactivity patch for the desktop

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Tue Nov 16 17:14:33 UTC 2010

On Tue, 16.11.10 16:58, Ilyes Gouta (ilyes.gouta at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> http://linux.slashdot.org/story/10/11/16/1330233/The-200-Line-Linux-Kernel-Patch-That-Does-Wonders
> patch: http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=128978361700898&w=2
>
> Can we have this patch back ported into the current kernel for Fedora 14 and
> possibly posted as an update? :)

This appears completely backwards to me. Attaching things like this to a
TTY is just wrong, because normally we don't have a single TTY around on
most graphical sessions.

The kernel doesn't really have a notion of what a "session" is (only the
audit subsystem kinda has), but if this grouping behaviour is supposed
to be bound to a session, then attaching it to a TTY is a pretty shitty
replacement.

Dhaval Giani pointed out to me that the same can be done from userspace
simply by creating a cgroup for each session in the cpu hierarchy. Turns
out systemd actually does pretty much that, except in the named systemd
hierarchy. It is trivial modification to create a group in both hierarchies.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.