sched_autogroup interactivity patch for the desktop

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Tue Nov 16 21:04:59 UTC 2010

On Tue, 16.11.10 19:52, Ilyes Gouta (ilyes.gouta at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi Leenart,
>
> > Dhaval Giani pointed out to me that the same can be done from userspace
> > simply by creating a cgroup for each session in the cpu hierarchy. Turns
>
> So a session's (as you're referring) initiator to would be the terminal
> emulator process that has a virtual tty and systemd detect those and setup a
> proper cgroup so that we could differentiate when scheduling with other
> processes?

So, systemd now puts every service it starts into its own cpu cgroup (in
addition to the cgroup in the systemd cgroup it is already put in). In
the general case this is a lot more useful than binding things to a TTY,
since almost nothing that runs on a normal system actually has a
TTY. Basically only "make -j" has. man-db hasn't. update-db
hasn't. firefox hasn't. Nothing has.

I think priority should be to add finer grained group scheduling between
services and apps, and then as last step to that even between multiple
ptys that a single gnome-terminal manages, but this is not where you
should start. It's were the story ends.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.