sched_autogroup interactivity patch for the desktop

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Tue Nov 16 21:06:47 UTC 2010

On Tue, 16.11.10 11:02, Josh Stone (jistone at redhat.com) wrote:

> On 11/16/2010 09:14 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > This appears completely backwards to me. Attaching things like this to a
> > TTY is just wrong, because normally we don't have a single TTY around on
> > most graphical sessions.
> >
> > The kernel doesn't really have a notion of what a "session" is (only the
> > audit subsystem kinda has), but if this grouping behaviour is supposed
> > to be bound to a session, then attaching it to a TTY is a pretty shitty
> > replacement.
>
> I think the TTY granularity for autogroups is *intentionally* finer than
> session granularity, which is why Linus' running kbuild doesn't
> interfere with the rest of his desktop.

See my later "patch" for that.

http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/11/16/330

> So if we confirm that this is a win, then I hope you also make sure that
> systemd's grouping doesn't interfere with autogrouping benefits.  That
> could just mean that systemd explicitly does what autogroup is
> implicitly doing.

This autogrouping should just go away. I think it has little use on
anything but machines of kernel hackers, and systemd would probably turn
this off on boot fi this is compiled into the kernel.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.