Fedora release model (was Re: Plan for tomorrow's FESCo meeting (2010-11-17))

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Mon Nov 22 14:44:20 UTC 2010

On 11/22/2010 04:21 AM, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 11/22/2010 12:59 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:

>> It seems like what you want is actually not to have three releases at a
>> time at all but to have one and update it constantly. And I actually
>> rather suspect that would be a model that would work well for Fedora,
>> and I'd like to look into adopting it.

> The way I see it, is we have:
>
> rawhide (and for a part of the cycle Fedora #+1 testing)
> Fedora #
> Fedora #-1
> Fedora #-2

  I agree with the idea of a rolling release model - however I think we
need to tune it for our needs - I think of it more closely to the kernel
development model but not the same - we have a distro not a kernel.

   (i) Stable - Fedora M.n (e.g. 14.0)
		What normal users run.

   (ii) Staging (or updates testing :-)
	Staging-Security.

	   * This is the staging area for collections that are
             deemed worthy of rolling into stable after some
             wider testing.

           * Security updates should be in a separate security-staging
             repo.

	   * Whenever we move a bunch of packages from staging to
             stable we raise the minor number to M.(n+1). Larger
             changes may require major number bump if deemed
             appropriate (e.g. systemd, kde 8.0, gnome 3 and
             occasionally a kernel update)

	   * Maintainers required to test reasonably anything that hits
             staging - not on all platforms or in all configs but as
             many as they can reasonably.

	   * We keep iso file of current major (M.n) and prior major for
             install purposes (M-1.x)

   (iii) Development - (aka rawhide)

	 * These should be tested by pulling packages into current
           stable or staging - just as they would be after they get
           moved to staging. This is definitely not a separate install,
           but add-on packages to staging/stable.

  gene/