Urgent: today's F14 catastrophe with openldap-servers update

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Nov 23 12:19:17 UTC 2010

On 23/11/10 10:11, Patrick MONNERAT wrote:
> While applying today's updates on a machine running a slapd server, the
> following error occurred:
>
> Stopping slapd: [  OK  ]
> Checking configuration files for slapd: [FAILED]
> bdb(dc=linuxdev,dc=datasphere,dc=ch): Build signature doesn't match
> environment
> bdb_db_open: database "dc=linuxdev,dc=datasphere,dc=ch" cannot be
> opened, err -30971. Restore from backup!
> backend_startup_one (type=bdb,
> suffix="dc=linuxdev,dc=datasphere,dc=ch"): bi_db_open failed! (-30971)
> slap_startup failed (test would succeed using the -u switch)
> stale lock files may be present in /var/lib/ldap[WARNING]
> /var/lib/ldap /
> /
>
> as a result, the ldap server is not running anymore, I cannot start it
> manually and I have no recent backup.
>
> I cannot even use slapcat (after update) on the current data.
>
> This is quite urgent since ldap data are heavily used by our
> applications.
> Please help !

Just had the same thing happen to me.

Worked around it by doing:

# yum downgrade openldap openldap-servers openldap-clients
# slapcat > my.ldif
# yum update openldap openldap-servers openldap-clients

Remove contents of /var/lib/ldap except DB_CONFIG

# slapadd < my.ldif
# chown ldap:ldap /var/lib/ldap/*
# restorecon -rvF /var/lib/ldap
# service slapd start

It came back up OK.

Looks like the new openldap is built against a different BerkeleyDB than
the old one.

Paul.