Fedora 15, new and exciting plans

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Wed Nov 24 14:21:56 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 09:51:13PM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:

> Well, what's unfortunate is that HAL got deprecated long before replacements
> for all its parts were ready. KDE already waited for quite some time before
> implementing the replacements for HAL and was heavily criticized for that
> out of some circles. And STILL, the replacement isn't ready?

It's been repeatedly pointed out that you still need HAL (or a
workalike) if you want backlight control. The replacement isn't ready
because the upstream kernel maintainer went AWOL for an extended period
of time.

> Surely copying&pasting HAL code into a helper which runs as root as gnome-
> power-manager does isn't a long-term-viable solution!

You're right! It's not! Which is why nobody has claimed it is.

> Is there a hope that radeon and nouveau get fixed to support XRandR
> backlight control by F15? (I don't give a darn about Catalyst/fglrx and
> nvidia.)

There is a hope, but it's going to have to happen at the server level
rather than the driver level - otherwise we're going to leave behind
various other drivers as well. Not all the world is nvidia, intel or
radeon despite how much easier that'd make things.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org