Looking for testers: RPM 4.9 alpha

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Nov 27 23:36:41 UTC 2010

Panu Matilainen wrote:
> The draft release notes are at http://rpm.org/wiki/Releases/4.9.0

1. This change:
| Packages with no files can now omit the %files section and still have
| packages generated.
is going to make it a PITA to conditionalize the building of subpackages,
and it's going to break several existing KDE specfiles very badly (and with
no warning!): RPM will silently generate empty subpackages where none is
wanted.

More precisely, when we wanted to conditionalize or comment out the creation
of a subpackage (e.g. in kde-l10n for languages which are currently not
available), what we did so far was to %if out only the %files section for
the subpackage, not %package or things like %post, and this would reliably
omit the subpackage. Now we'll have to %if out ALL sections referring to the
subpackage: %package to prevent the subpackage from being built, and all
other sections referring to it because they'll error out if the %package is
not there.

2. I presume this:
| Unknown dependency qualifiers are now always treated as errors and abort
| build
also includes Requires(hint), or is that finally used now? The specfiles
maintained or comaintained by Rex Dieter (and they're many!) have
Requires(hint) in many places. If this is really an error now, then that
change is breaking all of KDE and its dependencies and several other
packages in Fedora.

        Kevin Kofler