[HEADS-UP] Moving /var/run and /var/lock to tmpfs in Rawhide

Tomasz Torcz tomek at pipebreaker.pl
Tue Nov 30 19:48:22 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 02:25:50PM -0500, Paul Wouters wrote:
> > * after a reboot, the application is able to startup and write to a directory
> >  in /var/run and/or /var/lock.
>
> All daemons should already be able to do that (meaning init scripts dealing
> with non-existing directories)

> > corner cases:
> > * After installation but before reboot, the application is able to startup
> >  and write to a directory in /var/run and/or /var/lock
>
> Handled with the sam initscript code that should already exist.

> Why? If the initscripts do this already it should be fine. The only reason
> I've heard so far is to do selinux context items, which I'm mostly
> unfamiliar with (but would hope that most of the required permissions on
> those are inherited from the parent directory policy?)
>
> I would really like to avoid having THREE places to create directories
> in /var/run and /var/lock, those being spec file, init scripts AND tmpfiles.d

  Scratch the initscript.  This would mean initscript would need to
contain multiple
ExecStartPre=/sbin/mkdir --mode=777 /var/run/xx; /bin/chown x.x /var/run/xx; /sbin/restorecon /var/run/xx
lines, which look unwieldy.
  So we are left with tmpfiles.d and spec file.  Could the spec file be replaced
by tmpfilesd invocation in %post?

--
Tomasz Torcz                        To co nierealne -- tutaj jest normalne.
xmpp: zdzichubg at chrome.pl          Ziomale na życie mają tu patenty specjalne.