REVIEW/RFC: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Kevin/Updates_Policy_Draft

Brandon Lozza brandon at pwnage.ca
Fri Oct 1 12:35:45 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 6:01 AM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 7:25 AM, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>>
>> It shouldn't be. Never be afraid of learning, even in the tightest of
>> situations. It is good for your brain. It helps with analytical
>> thinking.
>>
>> Once constant learning becomes part of your life, you really don't get
>> bothered with UI changes.
>>
>> Promoting "not learning" will drive the community lazy. I think the
>> educational system all over the world forces people to acknowledge
>> learning as burden. This is not good for humanity. I don't believe
>> that Fedora should follow this road of lazyness.
>
> I don't know if you are serious but it is not a question of lazyness.  Users
> don't want to be disrupted to what they are used to, just because they did a
> few updates.  New release can introduce major changes and users will be more
> tolerant of that.
>
> Rahul
>
> --

The user has to tolerate some change. We can't cater to people who
never upgrade which seems to be what is taking place. Especially with
the fact that our end of life happens sooner, users must already
expect a constant stream of updates. If they want more stability they
should be using RHEL, CentOS or Scientific Linux, Debian Stable,
Ubuntu LTS which do put the focus on non disruptiveness.

Each release of KDE comes with bug fixes, security fixes and new
features. Plus combine the fact that KDE right now is evolving at a
rapid rate thanks to all of the new developers that the 4.x series has
attracted. Not having the latest makes it difficult for a KDE
developer to test their stuff and make sure it keeps working with the
latest KDE. Fedora isn't just a home to Gnome development, which as a
framework never seems to change so they won't have the same opinion as
the KDE people.