xulrunner 2.0 in rawhide (F15) bundles several system libs

Brandon Lozza brandon at pwnage.ca
Tue Oct 5 12:34:06 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> that's the entire point of having trademarks. Free software projects are
> obliged to allow you to access and modify their code. They are not
> obliged to allow you to benefit from their reputation. It doesn't make
> any sense to say 'I think this product needs to be modified but I wish
> to be able to represent my modified product as being the same thing as
> the original product in order to benefit from the reputation attached to
> the original product'.
> --

Trademarks defeat the purpose of it being "free software". They impose
restrictions. You have to remove MoFo's artwork and perform a name
change or you're required to get permission from Mozilla to
redistribute a modified binary. That's not free. At the same time does
that logically effect the produced binary if we don't use the Firefox
branding? I don't think the artwork and branding makes it any faster
or more standards compliant or compatible with plugins. It would
instantly remove the restrictions that make it unmaintainable.

> Adam Williamson

Looks like RMS agrees too on the trademark issue.