xulrunner 2.0 in rawhide (F15) bundles several system libs

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Wed Oct 6 12:43:37 UTC 2010

Florent Le Coz, Mon, 04 Oct 2010 15:20:04 +0200:
>>  Trademark cannot be ever free as in freedom.
> That's why Fedora should not ship Firefox, but Iceweasel, or Icecat, or
> Minefield, or anything else that is not trademarked and isn't impossible
> to patch without mozilla's consent.

I won't comment on the trademark issue (because that's just pure lunacy),
but let me comment here "they don't accept my patches, so they are non-
free". That's just nonsense ... any upstream is free to accept or reject
any patches as they are free to decide. Ask Hans Reiser about reiserfs4.
The difference is (and neither option makes the project non-free) is
whether upstream accepts any patches at all (with some margin of error)
or if they routinely accept patches and they give rational reason when
rejecting some (and no, you don't have to agree with the reason).

And concerning having private copies of libraries, the difference is
whether they try to send their patches upstream (and whether they
actually did that in the past) or not.

Just my 0.02 CZK

To err is human, to purr feline.