trademarks [was: xulrunner 2.0 in rawhide (F15) bundles several system libs]

Michal Schmidt mschmidt at redhat.com
Wed Oct 6 14:08:20 UTC 2010

On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 15:26:59 +0200 Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 10/06/2010 02:49 PM, Matej Cepl wrote:
> > Nonsense, trademarks exists to protect users and to avoid living off
> > somebody else brand recognition.
>
> I disagree - trademarks exist to protect the manufacturer from
> loosing profits because of their products being copied.
>
> Ask Adidas or Nike why they sue Chinese manufacturers and you'll see.
> They'll tell you that they loose money because of being copied.

Of course. But there's in fact no disagreement, only looking at
different aspects of the same thing.

Why do you think the copying takes place? Because the companies have
built a good reputation and brand, allowing them to increase profit.

Good quality => good reputation => solid brand => better profits.

Then copyists try to get better profits too without bothering to
build their own good reputation, by deceiving the buyers into thinking
the original company with good reputation produced their goods.

I'm really quite surprised about this thread. Of all the stuff
often put under the confusing term "intellectual property" I expected
trademarks to be the least controversial.

Michal