FPC Meeting -- Guideline Changes

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 18:27:11 UTC 2010

At todays FPC meeting, the FPC approved several guideline changes.

= Rationale for Conflicts Guideline =

https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/ticket/18
6 +1, no 0, no -1.

This was purely informational and requires no changes to how you package

= Appropriate Content in Changelogs =
https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/ticket/17
6 +1, no 0, no -1

At fesco's request we explored what content was appropriate for rpm
changelogs.  Our goal here was to not impose a burden or change on most
maintainers while still clarifying what was expected and not expected
content in a changelog entry.

= Update filtering of Provides and Requires =
https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/ticket/16
6 +1, no 0, no -1

This change updated both the Auto Provides and Requires Filtering page:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:AutoProvidesAndRequiresFiltering

and the perl packaging guidelines:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Perl#Filtering_Requires:_and_Provides

There were two changes:
1) Highlight that using Packaging:AutoProvidesAndRequiresFiltering is a must
and packages that are doing filtering in other ways should be migrated to
using the filtering described there.
2) Perl packages can use the %{?perl_default_filter} macro.

When rpm gains the ability to ignore the perl extensions and docdir the
ability exists to unset that macro and all should be well.

= Updated java guidelines =
https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/ticket/13
6 +1, no 0, no -1.

The java guidelines have seen some minor updates proposed by a member of the
java sig.  Most of it was clarification and fixes to the example spec
templates.

In addition to the guidelines accepted today, the following guidelines were
approved at a previous meeting and have now been written into the
guidelines:

= Bundled library exceptions =
https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/ticket/8

This update to the bundled libraries policy clarified when an exception
might be granted and listed packagelibrary combinations which have been
granted exceptions with rationale.

Note that this does not cover gupnp-dlna (pending a future meeting) or the
recent mozilla talks (unknown how we're going to deal with that).

-Toshio