Ubuntu 10.10's installer looks rather nice

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Oct 11 10:41:13 UTC 2010

I installed and played with Ubuntu 10.10 over the weekend (in a VM),
and I have to say that their installer is very smooth indeed.  It's
starting to make anaconda look distinctly clunky.

Some of the things it does which are IMHO better:

 - starts disk formatting / copying / installing in parallel
   with asking user questions

 - downloads updates in parallel too

 - uses IP geolocation to guess the user's timezone and keyboard
   settings (it's been 100% correct for me each time)

 - suggests a username and hostname based on the user's real name
   (Mac OS X's installer also does this -- it's a nice touch)

This is in contrast to anaconda (certainly from the live CD install)
which seems to be a usability no-go area.

Thoughts?  Can we switch to their installer?

Rich.