RFC: Upgrade Banshee to 1.8.0 in F13

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Oct 11 17:37:12 UTC 2010

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 12:20:54 -0400
Nathaniel McCallum <nathaniel at natemccallum.com> wrote:

> I'd like to propose that we upgrade banshee (and
> banshee-community-extensions) to 1.8.0 in F13.  I estimate that this
> will close about half our open bugs.  Doing this will require the
> following package upgrades in F13:
>
> * clutter-sharp - Upgrade (I'm pretty sure Banshee is the only user)
> * gio-sharp - New
> * gudev-sharp - New
> * gkeyfile-sharp - New
> * gtk-sharp-beans - New
> * libgpod - Upgrade (0.7.93 > 0.7.95; bugfix release)
>
> The only thing complicated here is the buildroot override requirement
> and making sure that we ship the new banshee-community-extensions in
> the same update as the new banshee.
>
> Currently, I do not think it is feasible to backport this to F12, so
> F13 would be the latest version.
>
> Thoughts? Comments?

Well, lets see:

F13 currently has version 1.6.1 in it. Looks like they follow an 'odd
is unstable/devel, even is release/stable' method. So, all the 1.7.x
releases were development ones.

I see a lot of bugs fixed, but also a bunch of new features:
http://banshee.fm/download/archives/1.8.0/

I see 9 open fedora bugs.

Has the UI changed since 1.6.1? I would suspect so.

Would the libgpod update require rebuilding or changing anything else?
How many other packages depend on that?

So, this seems to me to be something that would need more rationale/a
stable updates exception.

All just IMHO.

kevin