Ubuntu 10.10's installer looks rather nice

Farkas Levente lfarkas at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 21:44:01 UTC 2010

On 10/11/2010 06:09 PM, Jon Masters wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-10-11 at 17:39 +0200, Gilboa Davara wrote:
>
>> Comparing the Ubuntu 10.04 DVD installer (which I use a couple of weeks
>> ago) to Fedora 13 DVD installer is like comparing the Cessna to a Boeing
>> 747.
>> Sure, both can accomplish the same task. Read: transporting people from
>> one airport to another, but lets see you try transporting 400 peoples
>> from London to NY using a Cessna...
>>
>> The same logic applies to the Ubuntu installer: As long as you require a
>> fairly basic -desktop- configuration (Read: No fancy storage, no LVM, no
>> fancy setup source [nfs, dvd, http], -very- basic encryption, standard
>> software set and repository selection, etc), the Ubuntu installer is a
>> great tool, but once you need something complex, you're screwed.
>
> That's all true. I've found the Ubuntu installer looks /very/ polished
> and nice for very common install cases, but I always use LVM on every
> install that I do, and last time I did a VM install of Ubuntu, I had to
> switch to a VT and get LVM sorted on the command line. Not super user
> friendly as compared with Anaconda. Other installers were even more of a
> joke doing this stuff. Tried doing LVM on Gentoo? :) Things like LVM and
> VNC do really matter, and not just for "Enterprise" users. You don't
> need to use LVM w/wo RAID, you can just do bare partitions if you don't
> care about being able to do anything useful with your disks at all :)

imho, the never drop any feature since raid, lvm, iscsi are important
(what's more i use them:-), BUT most user don't ie. 80% of the users
never use them.
it can be an "advanced" installer option for us, and a "basic" for
average user.
the other point of richards is what the whole fedora community and
redhat should have to understand: "most users like ubuntu rather then
fedora/redhat". why? because:
- it's looks better. every component looks better, installer, default
gnome themes etc. we can make a long discussion about which is better
but our opinion simple do not count. better is what most user like. period.
- it's easier to use. for average user it's the most important thing. we
can always have an advance and basic settings.

wouldn't be useful to ask users which they like and try to make
fedora/redhat's component better?

just my 2c.