Ubuntu 10.10's installer looks rather nice

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Tue Oct 12 08:07:47 UTC 2010

On 10/11/10 19:31, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 11:41:13 +0100,
>    "Richard W.M. Jones"<rjones at redhat.com>  wrote:
>>
>> Some of the things it does which are IMHO better:
>>
>>   - starts disk formatting / copying / installing in parallel
>>     with asking user questions
>
> I think that is a misfeature. I don't want anything irreversible to be done
> until I say go.

I always liked the way suse does the install.  It comes up with a
*single* overview screen showing *everything* it suggests to do
(partitioning, packages to install, some basic settings, ...).  Then you
can go and change stuff if you want, and after changing settings it goes
back to the overview screen, showing what it would do now after applying
your changes. This way you are not bothered with lots of interactive
questions but still have the option to change everything as you like if
you want.  When you are happy with everything you say 'go!' and it goes.
It doesn't touch your hard disk before.

Anaconda goes though everything step-by-step instead, asking one
question after another, doing some work inbetween (partitining), asking
more questions (packages to install) ...

Dunno how hard it would be to change anaconda to have such an overview
screen.  Maybe it isn't *that* hard after all as we have kickstart.  So
for a interactive install anaconda could collect all info from the user,
compile a kickstart file from that, then feed the install machinery with
the just-generated kickstart file.

Anaconda can try to figure reasonable defaults.  Using geoip. By
inspecting the hardware.  Have 'klick here to change' buttons to change
things, which can probably handled by the existing screens for timezone
/ keyboard / ... selection.  Maybe even reading stuff from a kickstart
file and present it in the overview, so you could stick your favorite
non-default settings there.

cheers
   Gerd