'milkymist' group in comps?

Chitlesh GOORAH chitlesh.goorah at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 17:45:05 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 9:42 PM, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
> 1) When you added this to F14/F15/EL6, you added a typo; this
> broke the F-14 branched compose and the EPEL updates push.
> *Please* verify your changes before pushing.

Sorry I missed it

> 2) Aside from that... how does this merit a separate group?
>
> - We already have the electronic lab group
> - If we add a group each for developing for any embedded/custom
>  board, we're going to run into group explosion really quickly

Well it does merit a separate group and we differ in terms of goals.

Fedora/Free Electronic Lab focuses primarily on ASIC design. We were
pretty bad in terms of knowhow in the embedded environment, until
Shakthi joined us. Hence our solutions for embedded tool are
improving. But our FEL goal is not only provide to but also to foster
a community around it.

Milkymist community builds and enhance their own toolchain (currently
not fully supported by Fedora). They have contributors who contribute
for tools such as gcc, qemu, other libraries (too software for FEL
goals). They have many patches that need to push to upstream.
Milkymist founder and I believe that we can collaborate as the
milkmist community is situated between FEL and Fedora, in terms of
tools and upstream patch-push. It is a win-win situation for everyone.

Having a separate group will prevent flooding ASIC engineers (existing
FEL users) with non-useful tools. Having a separate group will
strengthen RedHat/Fedora focus on patch submission for important tools
such as gcc, qemu,.....

In short, that was it. It's sad though you can differ FEL goals from the rest.

Chitlesh