Building mono-2.8 for 64 bit - possible solution to the problem

Paul F. Johnson paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Wed Oct 13 21:10:35 UTC 2010

Hi,

In the wee small hours (UK time), I submitted mono-2.8 to koji.
Unfortunately, it failed to build for 64 bit systems and gave the
following error

In file included from sgen-gc.c:784:0:
sgen-los.c: In function 'los_scan_card_table':
sgen-los.c:482:21: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer
type
sgen-los.c:501:15: warning: comparison of distinct pointer types lacks a
cast
sgen-gc.c: At top level:
sgen-cardtable.c:229:1: warning: 'collect_faulted_cards' defined but not
used
{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:24487: Error: @TLSLDM reloc is not supported with
64-bit output format
{standard input}:24487: Error: junk `@tlsld' after expression
make[3]: *** [libmonoruntimesgen_la-sgen-gc.lo] Error 1

After Googling around, I think I've hit the cause - it's down to the
cross compiler used on koji (or could be). I found this...

http://www.mail-archive.com/unattended-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg02316.html

which seems to point to the cross compilation being the problem for
building mono on the 64 bit buildsys.

Could someone please confirm this is the problem before I bung it into
the big red lizard for fixing? If it is the problem, what component to I
file it against?

Thanks

Paul
--
Vertraue mir, ich weiss, was ich mache...