handling env variables like JAVA_HOME, M2_HOME...

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sun Oct 17 17:51:25 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 04:21:11PM +0300, Marius Andreiana wrote:
> How can Fedora work out of the box with apps requiring env variables like
> JAVA_HOME, M2_HOME ?
>
> Today, even though fedora provides java & maven, one still has to manually
> set these vars. Should Fedora java/maven packages set these (e.g. by files
> in /etc/profile.d/), while still allowing users to overwrite them in
> ~/.bash_profile?

I guess so, but seems better to avoid needing the variables in the
first place.  It seems that JAVA_HOME is not required, provided you
are using the default Fedora package.  (At least, that is my
impression from a small test I just did.)

Rich.

PS. yikes, Java is so verbose ...

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/