rawhide report: 20101019 changes

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Oct 19 14:08:44 UTC 2010

On 19/10/10 15:01, Chris Lumens wrote:
>> This despite the FHS says (right at the top of Chapter 3, the Root
>> Filesystem):
>>
>>     /usr, /opt, and /var are designed such that they may be located on other
>>     partitions or filesystems.
>
> Neat.
>
>> Do we *really* want to head this way, ignoring bugs resulting from
>> having /usr on a different partition such as
>> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/#626007, which is what led to this?
>
> If you read the entire commit message, you'll see:
>
> commit 1ae53648c9e3460eb63837b4c20bc860018979f0
> Author: Chris Lumens<clumens at redhat.com>
> Date:   Mon Oct 18 11:09:36 2010 -0400
>
>      Don't recommend /usr as a mount point anymore (#643640).
>
>      You can still use it if you really want (by inputting it manually), but
>      the Installation Guide recommends against its use.
>
> In other words, you can still use any mount point you want.

I did read that, which is why I added the reference to Bug #626007
(trimmed from your reply), which is where this change originated from;
that is a bug that is being ignored on the basis that /usr is on a
separate partition.

I'm fine with setting up my own partitioning arrangements but I'd rather
not see a system that doesn't work once installed this way.

Paul.