Asynchronous disk space monitoring

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 22:18:10 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 15:52, Orion Poplawski <orion at cora.nwra.com> wrote:
> Somewhat OT, but not sure where else to ask.  I'm looking into an issue where
> the nepomuk strigi service is preventing a desktop with an NFS mounted home
> directory from going into hibernate.  I think this is because it continually
> checks the available disk space in the home directory (about once every 20
> seconds in current 4.5.2, once every 10 seconds in 4.4.5).

hibernate + network file systems has always been a rather tough nut .
NFS is built on the fact that multiple clients may have the same tree
open at the same time... so if you are going to hibernate you are
going to need to basicallly unmount because there is no guarentee that
anything underneath you will be there when you come out of
hibernation.

> I'm wondering if there is any better way to monitor disk space than by this
> kind of polling.  Any kind of inotify service?  Or would this be worse on a
> busy mount?  Unless you could request notification only for reaching a threshold.

inotify would only work if the server somehow was able to give
information back to the client over inotify.

> --
> Orion Poplawski
> Technical Manager                     303-415-9701 x222
> NWRA/CoRA Division                    FAX: 303-415-9702
> 3380 Mitchell Lane                  orion at cora.nwra.com
> Boulder, CO 80301              http://www.cora.nwra.com
> --

Stephen J Smoogen.