Eclipse Fedora Packager: Call for Testers and Contributors

Severin Gehwolf sgehwolf at redhat.com
Thu Oct 21 13:08:52 UTC 2010

Hi Brendan,

----- "Brendan Jones" <brendan.jones.it at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/21/2010 08:10 AM, Severin Gehwolf wrote:
> > Hi Fedora Packagers,
> >
> > <pitch>
> > I would like to bring a new Eclipse plug-in to your
> > attention: Eclipse Fedora Packager[1]
> >
> > Feedback, testing, bug reports, contributions are very much
> > appreciated. Our Trac instance is here (use your FAS to login):
> > https://fedorahosted.org/eclipse-fedorapackager/
> >
> > If you have questions, run into problems or would be interested in
> > contributing please let me know:
>
> I wanting to package something new. Is this the right kind of tool  or
>
> does it require the package to exist in git? In any case I'll have a
> crack at it and let you know how I go.

That's great! If you'd like to package software which is not yet in
Fedora and you haven't packaged anything for Fedora before, you need
to get yourself sponsored and get a Git repository created for you.

Follow instructions here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/Join

Eclipse Fedora Packager would come into play once the Git repository
has been created (Section 2.1.15 onwards - "Check out the module").
I think, Eclipse Fedora Packager would be a great tool if you are new
to Fedora Packaging. Instead of following sections 2.1.15-2.1.20 you
could use the Eclipse plug-in. It's a substitute for fedpkg (at least
for the most part).

As Alex mentioned, since you would be creating an RPM-spec-file from
scratch while following the above process, eclipse-rpmstubby would be
a great tool to generate some RPM-spec-file templates to build upon
for you. More info here:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Linux_Tools_Project/SpecfileEditor/User_Guide#Creating_a_New_Specfile

Let us know if you have more questions.

Cheers,