Making Fedora work with laptops on docking station with external monitor

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Wed Oct 27 23:19:48 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 02:18:16PM -0400, Fulko Hew wrote:
>    I thought I'd try to ask, because if some Linux developer could tell me
>    how/where
>    some app like xrandr gets the data, then I could figure out how to
>    accomplish
>    it on my equivalent system.

xrandr gets it from the X server, and on modern systems the X server
gets it from sysfs. On pre-KMS hardware it's handled by the
device-specific code in the X server knowing how to bang the gpu
registers to do i2c. If you've got control of your kernel then the sane
thing to do is to add kernel support, but otherwise dig through the i2c
code in the X server.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org