Linux and application installing

Alex Hudson fedora at alexhudson.com
Thu Sep 9 07:26:56 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-09-08 at 22:21 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le mercredi 08 septembre 2010 à 19:07 +0100, Alex Hudson a écrit :
> > The i18n situation is also pretty sad from my point of view too. If you
> > use pretty much any design app, OO Writer and Inkscape being the ones
> > which cause me pain, the standard set of fonts that comes with Fedora is
> > entirely confusing and bizarre, and gets completely in the way of
> > actually trying to design text.
>
> It's well known that the current font selectors are not good enough.
> [snip lots of stuff I agree with]

I think that's absolutely correct, and it's not like I'm saying anything
terribly new, but for me the font installation stuff has to be pretty
tied into font selection.

What I'd ideally want is a much better font selection system, like
you've outlined in those various bugs, and then maybe just an extra
button on those dialogs titled "Get new fonts" or similar. In an ideal
world, that would bring up a GtkHtml widget or something and replicates
the font selection system (or could be even integrated into it), but
with web fonts so you can view them and try them out with relevant text
(trying to include screenshots for each relevant language / unicode
coverage area seems a bit mad to me).

And then when you've found them, you should have the choice of just
bringing them into your account (bypassing RPM completely) or loading
them system-wide (which would then trigger PackageKit).

Fonts being in RPMs and supported in PackageKit is something I totally
support, but attempting to re-use a more generic software installation
UI to allow users to manage fonts seems severely sub-optimal to me.

Cheers

Alex.

--
This message was scanned by Better Hosted and is believed to be clean.
http://www.betterhosted.com