Linux and application installing

Alex Hudson fedora at alexhudson.com
Thu Sep 9 10:24:25 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-09-09 at 11:03 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> I'm interested in font installing, but I think it might be better to
> integrate this with app-install rather than packagekit, as app-install
> has a pointer to a screenshot URL we can show in the preview window.

I'm not sure why this should be part of either of those apps.

A screenshot is marginally useful, but how do you give a good idea of
how the font works in different weights, sizes, and with different text
(particularly those fonts with good Unicode coverage)? I think it's
sub-optimal to say the least.

What you really want is a font store which has functionality like this:

	http://code.google.com/webfonts/preview#font-family=Cantarell

Packagekit is a great way of getting the RPM which has the font and
installing it on the system. I don't know if the font RPMs are of much
use before then, because by the time you have a system that can allow
you to put your own text in and actually see what the font looks like,
you pretty much have the font already.

I think this actually ought to be a web-based service on the Fedora
servers. You can use the web-font stuff to do a really good font
browser, and there is already the ability to click on RPMs and install
them via Packagekit if you want the RPM.

Cheers

Alex.

--
This message was scanned by Better Hosted and is believed to be clean.
http://www.betterhosted.com