Voting Process [WAS: FESCo decision on systemd]

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Wed Sep 15 16:35:21 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-09-14 at 21:26 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-09-14 at 19:02 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > I'm happy to look for ways to make the other fesco voices heard.
> > Any ideas? I could try making the tickets have some more descriptive
> > subject like "HEY VOTE ON THIS PLEASE BEFORE NEXT MEETING:" or
> > something.
>
> Hmm. Here's a couple ideas I could think of:
>
> - "If you don't place a vote by $DATE, your vote will be assumed to be
> $POSITION" can be scarily motivating.

I think that's unfortunate. No elected body operates in this way because
there are always reasons why people can't attend a meeting every time.

> - Nag emails sent out by trac daily until you click on the email's yes &
> no links to vote! (some of the ticket reminder trac hacks might work to
> provide this)

An equivalent to the Serjeant-at-Arms might be a good idea. But rather
than legal authority to hound down members and compel them under penalty
of Federal imprisonment, I suggest simply a requirement that they be
required to vote within a specific period of time for certain issues,
with someone appointed to ensure that this is happening as needed.

You might also require members to maintain a certain percentage of
attendance, or less than a specific deviation from the average
attendance of other members (perhaps the latter) in order to be an
active member of the body.

Jon.