Meeting summary/minutes from today's FESCo meeting (2010-09-14)

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Wed Sep 15 22:09:35 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-09-15 at 22:33 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le mardi 14 septembre 2010 à 21:26 -0400, Máirín Duffy a écrit :
> > On Tue, 2010-09-14 at 19:02 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > > I'm happy to look for ways to make the other fesco voices heard.
> > > Any ideas? I could try making the tickets have some more descriptive
> > > subject like "HEY VOTE ON THIS PLEASE BEFORE NEXT MEETING:" or
> > > something.
> >
> > Hmm. Here's a couple ideas I could think of:
> >
> > - "If you don't place a vote by $DATE, your vote will be assumed to be
> > $POSITION" can be scarily motivating.
> >
> > - Nag emails sent out by trac daily until you click on the email's yes &
> > no links to vote! (some of the ticket reminder trac hacks might work to
> > provide this)
>
> I really don't see the point. A forced vote is not better than no vote
> (can easily be worse). As far as I know in most countries actual laws
> are passed by whoever is present in Parliament (baring very specific
> exceptions). If there are few people it's not a problem, it just shows
> the issue is either not very important, or the consensus has already
> been achieved.

That's a good point, but I would hope that someone elected to serve on a
body in Fedora would actually *want* to vote, and the measures above are
just ideas meant to be motivation/reminder than "forcing."

Honestly, I'm not sure they are great ideas but certainly throwing
something out there means more brain food to help generate an actually
good idea.

~m