pushing updates for FTBFS

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Sep 21 17:37:18 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-09-21 at 10:06 -0700, Eric Smith wrote:
> A bug was filed against meshlab because of an FTBFS for Fedora 14.  I
> added a patch to resolve it and submitted an update.  After seven days
> with no feedback, I was able to push it to stable.
>
> For an FTBFS for a new Fedora release, does it really make sense to have
> the seven day delay?  I don't see what the downside would be of allowing
> it to be pushed to stable immediately.  Even if there's something wrong
> with the update, it isn't going to replace a working package.

This has come up multiple times, and the reply is always the same: yes,
an update *can* be worse than a non-buildable (or even not working)
package. It could somehow break *other* parts of the system. It could
introduce a security vulnerability.

You don't have to wait seven days. You just have to find someone to test
the update. If you don't know anyone who uses your package, now might be
a good time to find someone. :)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey