Nautilus still no go in rawhide

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Sat Sep 25 18:55:51 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-09-25 at 14:04 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:

> > (nautilus:11408): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion
> > `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
> > Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> There also seem to be problems with nautilus from GTK+ ABI changes - I
> see various warnings along the lines of:
>
> (nautilus:27082): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: specified class size for type
> `EvPropertiesView' is smaller than the parent type's `GtkVBox' class
> size
>
> These indicate a definite need for rebuild, so I'll kick one off now,
> and maybe things will be better after that finishes. It's certainly not
> worth worrying about anything related to Nautilus until it's rebuild.

Turned out to be a bit of a red-herring.... I was actually testing with
LD_LIBRARY_PATH including a fresh-from-git copy of GTK+.

Another potential problem is modules in:

 /usr/lib64/nautilus/extensions-2.0/

That are linking against gtk2 - that will result in gtk2 and gtk3 in the
same process, which will do bad things. There are certainly some
problems with that in the current Rawhide package set but not sure if
that's causing the problem you are seeing or not. Nautilus seem to work
fairly well for me with the rebuild and the right LD_LIBRARY_PATH and
most of the offending modules removed.

(We'll work on rebuilds and checks in Nautilus to deal with the
extensions linking against gtk2)

- Owen