x86_64 as Fedora's primary platform

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Sep 28 17:18:07 UTC 2010

Adam Williamson wrote:
> Why do you think it's a good idea to except netbooks?

The netbook issue can be solved by a simple "Download Netbook Version" link
(along with a clear warning on the default download that it's only for
desktop/laptop computers and that netbook users must use the netbook
version). Users who have a netbook know they have a netbook (so the "but the
user doesn't know his machine is not 64-bit capable" argument is irrelevant
there). And the netbook version can also use an environment better suited
for netbooks (e.g. Plasma Netbook, MeeGo or maybe LXDE).

> And why do you assume running Fedora on a three year old machine isn't a
> fairly common case?

I'm saying 3+ because I don't know the exact number to write there, but I
think it's more than 3.

> (I have both 3+ year old 32-bit only machines and netbooks running Linux
> right here at home).

Look, I'm typing this on a 32-bit-only machine. But I KNOW the machine is
old and doesn't support Intel 64 (formerly called EM64T and even before
IA-32e). What are the chances that a user who's new enough to not know what
64-bit means has such an old computer? I won't have any trouble finding the
32-bit downloads for my 32-bit PC even if x86_64 is the default.

(And FWIW, I also have a 64-bit notebook (Core 2 Duo), of course running the
x86_64 version. I don't see why I'd run a legacy 32-bit version on it.)

        Kevin Kofler