manually fixing IPs

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Fri Apr 1 04:04:46 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 01, 2011 at 05:20:03AM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 03/31/2011 07:28 PM, Dan Williams wrote:
> > domainname is only used for NIS,
> Hmm, this doesn't match with my understanding. Domainname and
> ypdomainname are separate things. Domainname is the "domain part" of a
> "FQDN", while ypdomainname is complete independent from the domainname
> and may be set to something entirely different than "domainname".

Actually, domainname and ypdomainname appear to be the same things:

HOSTNAME(1)                Linux Programmer’s Manual               HOSTNAME(1)

NAME
       hostname - show or set the system’s host name
       domainname - show or set the system’s NIS/YP domain name
       dnsdomainname - show the system’s DNS domain name
       nisdomainname - show or set system’s NIS/YP domain name
       ypdomainname - show or set the system’s NIS/YP domain name