[GSoC] Create a spin to aid students in education and to help them understand Linux and Fedora better

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Apr 2 03:29:49 UTC 2011

On Sat, Apr 02, 2011 at 07:42:50 +0530,
  Kalpa Welivitigoda <callkalpa at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm Kalpa Pathum from Sri Lanka. I'm interested in the GSoC project
> idea of Fedora Project with the title "Create a spin to aid students
> in education and to help them understand Linux and Fedora better".
> I've already submitted a proposal[1]. Any comment is highly
> appreciated.
>
> Reference
> [1] http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2011/callkalpa/1

Note there used to be an Education Spin. The goal wasn't quite the same, but
you might want to look at it for ideas.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Education_Spin

What you described on your description page wasn't is more than just a spin.
You would also need to build a comps group for each age group you wanted to
be selected at install time.

Also note that being able to install a subset of packages at installation
time precludes doing a live spin as those can only install everything.

You'll probably what to look at information on the spins process on the
Spins SIG page.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Spins

In case you either don't want to or the Spins SIG does not certify your
spin as an official spin, you might look into do =ing a remix.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Remix