How to debug a broken suspend/hibernate ?

Jaroslav Skarvada jskarvad at redhat.com
Wed Apr 6 16:01:50 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> Under Fedora 14, my computer, an Asus U31J, cannot suspend/hibernate.
> It attempts both, but hangs and has to be hard powered off. (I have
> only tried F14.)
>
> How do you debug something like this? I guess I'd need to have some
> tracing through the shutdown sequence to understand where it stops.
>
> Andrew.
> --

In case you used the pm-utils, consult the logs:
/var/log/pm-powersave.log
/var/log/pm-suspend.log

There is also script that can present you interesting information:
# pm-utils-bugreport-info.sh

something useful can be also found in syslog:
/var/log/messages

Test suspend from runlevels 3, 5 by:
# pm-suspend
and also directly through sys interface:
# echo mem > /sys/power/state

If the last one fails from runlevel 3 it is probably the kernel
and it will require more advanced debugging.

Please file bug about it. And also please try the F15, there are
various improvements

regards

Jaroslav Škarvada
SIG/PowerManagement