Fedora SPEC Review Tool

Garrett Holmstrom gholms at fedoraproject.org
Thu Apr 7 06:00:08 UTC 2011

On 4/6/2011 11:11, Jeffrey Ness wrote:
> As I'm new to the community and RPM Package Review (and development), I figured a tool to assist with reviews would be a nice time saver.
>
> With that said I have a simple Python tool (still in early beta stages) which does just that.
>
> Keeping with the concept of sharing, I wanted to hand this tool out to the community and get any feedback from y'all:
>
>    https://github.com/jness/spec_checks
>
> This tool uses the "Package Review Guidelines" written by Tom 'spot' Callaway:
>
>    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/ReviewGuidelines

I was expecting some sort of automated spec file / RPM checker, but it
turned out to essentially be a checklist program.  I guess I should have
read the readme first.  ;)

On that note, one thing that could improve it would be making it capable
of automatically providing relevant information to the reviewer.
Printing source file checksums, for instance, would be a small, but
relatively easy thing of this nature to do.

The review guidelines include the packaging guidelines by reference.
Your program does not.  Though the packaging guidelines tend to leave
more up to reviewers' discretion, they might still be worth including,
at least in part.

If it helps, several people posted wiki pages with the lists of things
that they look for when reviewing packages.  AFAIK mine is up to date
and fairly exhaustive, if you're interested in a starting point:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Gholms/review_template

I hope at least some of that feedback helps.  Anything that makes
reviewing easier is a good thing, so thanks for sharing your work!