Gnome-Shell and F14

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 13:56:00 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 7:16 AM, Chris Jones <chrisjones at comcen.com.au> wrote:
> Well when I installed Gnome-Shell just the other day it was only a ~10MB
> download and the installation was simple and didn't seem to alter anything.
>
> Am I getting confused or something between Gnome 3 and Gnome-Shell. Are they
> two different packages or the same thing?

I believe the gnome-shell included in F13 and earlier was an early
prototype that used toolkits and libraries that were available in
Gnome 2. The latest gnome-shell uses updated resourses available only
in Gnome 3 so there is no clear update path from one to the other
without including the entire Gnome 3 infrastructure and I think that
would be considered too big of a change to make within a Fedora
version.

/Mike