critpath approval process seems rather broken

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Mon Apr 11 00:52:20 UTC 2011

Comment inline below:

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 10, 2011, at 4:34 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2011-04-10 at 12:45 -0400, Doug Ledford wrote:
>
>> And here we are, about to go down the same road again.  I have an update
>> in updates-testing, it's getting no love, and the package that's in the
>> release is *known broken*.  It has not been updated for systemd to begin
>> with.  Nor for tmpfs /var/run.  And just like last time, I put out a
>> call for testers on this mailing list.
>
> It got one +1 the day you submitted it, but the tester isn't a
> proventester; if he had been, that would have been enough for it to go
> through.

Yes, and you are no doubt a proven tester, and your ok would have gotten the package through the process. Yet based upon the comment below, and my comments regarding your testing in the previous email, I think I have demonstrated why sometimes, the maintainer really does know best and why this process is broken IMHO.

>> You know, I think you guys have this entire critpath thing totally
>> backwards.  You should *never* be keeping maintainers away from their
>> testers, but that's exactly what this process does.  People running
>> alphas and betas and release candidates *are* testers by definition.
>> You shouldn't be sequestering critpath updates away from the broadest
>> possible testing audience they can have, you should be pushing them
>> proactively and getting the broadest testing possible.
>
> I'm not sure you understand the process. People running Branched
> releases - like 15 at present - get the packages in updates-testing.

Getting a package from updates testing isn't good enough for mdadm. That doesn't rebuild initramfs images, nor does it test install compatibility. Those things are far more important to get right with mdadm.