rfc/headsup: graphics driver packaging in F16+

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Apr 12 16:34:00 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-04-12 at 12:12 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:

> And input is even briefer (evdev, synaptics, wacom, vmmouse).  I'd like
> to chop the -drivers metapackage down to just this set, and either make
> a new metapackage in optional for -drivers-retrocomputing or simply list
> all the drivers there individually.  Note that since we're keeping
> drivers for fbdev and vesa we should still get graphics on most devices
> even if the user doesn't explicitly ask for a native driver.
>
> So that's the rough plan.  Comments appreciated if I'm overlooking
> anything.

Well, the less intrusive alternative is just to make graphics drivers a
comps group rather than using a metapackage. Metapackages are generally
'frowned upon' in Fedora anyway, and you're supposed to do stuff with
comps groups. Doing it that way would remove the critical path
implications; we could then just add the important drivers to critpath
individually.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey