Systemd unit file implementation questions (ypbind)

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Thu Apr 14 17:46:29 UTC 2011

On Thu, 14.04.11 18:40, Michał Piotrowski (mkkp4x4 at gmail.com) wrote:

> >>    Debian has mostly identical /etc/default/xxx.
> >>

> > Perhaps the same team that look at /run changes can come back together
> > and discuss this problem reach consciousness amongst distro about the
> > right path and everbody fix it accordingly...
>
> I am afraid that something like that will not be possible in this case
> - I expect much resistance from the users :)
>
> Of course, one common directory i.e /etc/services_config (or anything
> else with a better name) in all major distributions would be nice
> thing.

The place for system configuration is /etc. I have yet to see a really
convincing example why /etc/sysconfig/ or /etc/default would win us
anything. I am pretty sure that the vast majority of files in there are
pretty much unnecessary and their configuration could be solved in a
different way much nicer.

So yeah, I'd push for phasing /etc/sysconfig out for most services, not
standardize it.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.