PackageKit in Fedora 15 (beta)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Apr 26 19:26:27 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-04-26 at 13:55 -0400, James Antill wrote:

>  rpm5 isn't used anywhere, so is irrelevant to any discussion on
> anything.

Since Mandriva and Mageia split, Per Oyvind got to be Mandriva's RPM
maintainer, and they have (not surprisingly) adopted RPM5. Not to say I
think it's a good idea, but there is one significant distro that now
officially uses RPM5.

>  SuSE with rpm+zypper does have recommends/suggests, and is "somewhat"
> close to rpm+yum (kind of). But I don't know how much it is used ... and
> I don't know what it's behaviour is. I also don't know what problems
> they solve with it, and how well it solves them.

Again, Mandriva has Suggests. This is how it works. Suggested
dependencies are pulled in by urpmi (MDV's high-level package manager)
unless you pass --no-suggests, in which case they aren't. The summary
output from an urpmi operation (where it shows you what's about to
happen before it actually happens) denotes packages that are suggested.
You can always remove a package which is only Suggested (not Required by
any other package). IIRC the behaviour of rpmdrake (the GUI manager) is
more or less the same, with an option for not installing suggested
packages by default.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey