GNOME 3 Fallback Mode

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Wed Apr 27 14:34:15 UTC 2011

On 4/27/11 10:01 AM, Andre Robatino wrote:

> I was under the impression that recent VirtualBox releases do provide the
> required 3D acceleration pass-through support,

They do, or at east they claim to.

> but that something on the Fedora side necessary to use it is missing.

The virtualbox guest additions are not really packageable, last I
checked, because virtualbox upstream doesn't attempt to allow slip
between guest additions and hypervisor: if we were to package them,
they'd only work with a particular vbox hypervisor version, so
installing F15 in a newer-than-F15-contemporary vbox (or F14 in an
F15-contemporary vbox, etc) would have broken video drivers.

I would love to be wrong about this.

> how efficient would software rendering be, compared to that?

Probably less.  Depends entirely on what your host drivers implement,
and how well, and on what the guest drivers demand, and how well they're
implemented, and so forth.  But assuming all is right with the world,
host-accelerated 3D would almost assuredly be faster than software guest 3D.

- ajax