heads-up: qt 4.8 in f16/rawhide

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Thu Aug 4 08:42:04 UTC 2011

As part of KDE Plasma Workspaces 4.7 [1] feature we updated Qt to the latest
Qt 4.8 (currently beta 1). It's already available in F16 branch and Rawhide.
And we hit several problems, so to avoid them...

1. always regenerate .moc files during build as moc generator can be changed
2. and it has changed [2] ;-) virtual inheritance of QObject is now forbidden
(actually it was never supported).

"error: cannot convert from base 'QObject' to derived type 'MyObject' via virtual
base 'QObject'"

In this case, check if virtual inheritance is used, in 99% it's just useless as
there's no multiple inheritance in the code at all [3].

If your package is hit and you're not sure what to do to, feel free to ping me
or rnovacek. We know about 4 packages hit by this issue, two of them are already
fixed.

Jaroslav

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/KDE47
[2] https://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-19697