GStreamer FLAC to Ogg conversion corrupts audio data stream

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 20:34:30 UTC 2011

First of all, thanks for responding.

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 17:27:35 +0200, BO (Benjamin) wrote:

> 2) Fedora does not have a lot of expertise with GStreamer
> If you look at the people who write the code upstream, you don't find
> (m)any people that are active in Fedora.

I cannot know that, but as the bug affects Fedora, I would appreciate
a response in a ticket in Fedora's bug tracker.

> 3) GStreamer is a very intertwined codebase
> Changes in one part of GStreamer can influence a lot of other parts of
> GStreamer and result in unforseen side effects.
>
> And from these things I concluded that I'd be careful in fiddling around
> with GStreamer. Basically, the rule is "don't touch anything unless it's
> affecting a large percentage of people".

SoundConverter in Fedora is based on GStreamer. If the bug can't be fixed
in a timely manner, it may be necessary to blacklist FLAC->Ogg conversion
in SoundConverter in order to protect users from creating damaged files.
The bug has hit users with various distributions already.

> That said, what do I intend to do about your bug? I don;t think it's
> important enough to warrant any work from me. I'll just wait until the
> next release is out and that will hopefully fix it.

Feel free to close the ticket as UPSTREAM then.