bug in fuse-s3fs

Neil Horman nhorman at redhat.com
Tue Aug 23 18:22:10 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 10:22:42AM -0700, Jorge Gallegos wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 12:52:42PM -0400, Neil Horman wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 09:33:55AM -0700, Jorge Gallegos wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I opened the pasted review request above because fuse-s3fs (hint: need
> > > sponsor :) wouldn't work in my machine.
> > > When I went to the Google code page I saw it had been three years with no
> > > commit while it never left alpha status, that's why I submitted a new
> > > request for s3fs.
> > what you're doing doesn't make any sense, the fuse-s3fs package thats included
> > in RHEL, is the same one that you have a review request open for.  No one is
> > going to review a package request when the package is already part of Fedora.
> >

> Interesting, I am now confused:
>
> [kad at shinon ~]$ uname -r
> 2.6.40.3-0.fc15.x86_64
> [kad at shinon ~]$ yum search s3fs
> Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, presto
> updates/metalink                                                                                 |  17 kB     00:00
>  * fedora: mirror.fdcservers.net
>   * updates: mirror.fdcservers.net
>   updates                                                                                          | 4.7 kB     00:00
>   updates/primary_db                                                                               | 4.1 MB     00:00
>   updates/pkgtags                                                                                  |  44 kB     00:00
>   ================================================== N/S Matched: s3fs ===================================================
>   fuse-s3fs.noarch : FUSE filesystem using Amazon Simple Storage Service as storage
>
>     Name and summary matches only, use "search all" for everything.
>     [kad at shinon ~]$ yum info fuse-s3fs
>     Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, presto
>      * fedora: mirror.fdcservers.net
>       * updates: mirror.fdcservers.net
>       Available Packages
>       Name        : fuse-s3fs
>       Arch        : noarch
>       Version     : 0.7
>       Release     : 5.fc15
>       Size        : 25 k
>       Repo        : fedora
>       Summary     : FUSE filesystem using Amazon Simple Storage Service as storage
>       URL         : https://fedorahosted.org/s3fs
>
> If you go to https://fedorahosted.org/s3fs/browser you'll see there has been no commits for the last 3 years.
>
> I did a search before submitting my review request:
>
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=s3fs
>
> The only result that comes back is my ticket. I am packaging http://code.google.com/p/s3fs, if this is packaged for RHEL then I'd have to ask why this is not in fedora and if it was at some point.
Ah, my bad, I was confused, I thought the ticket was repackaging my fuse-s3fs
from fedora hosted.  Sorry about that.

And you're correct, I've not made commits to fuse-s3fs for a few years now,
because I only make commits when I need improvements or bug fixes, or when
people file bugs.  Its working fine for me, and I've gotten no bug reports.

If you open a bug on fuse-s3fs with the problem you encountered, I'll gladly fix
it.

I've tried the google code s3fs as well, and not had any luck in fixing it up.
I think thats probably a dead end.