[HEADS UP] remove ddate(1) command from rawhide

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 14:16:12 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 9:55 AM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:
> Otherwise,  make
> ddate a sub package and don't install it by default.   Solved?

As an upstream the willingness of distributions to strip out commands
which I wanted to provide and don't offer a build option to disable
via sub-packaging will simply encourage me to pack more functionality
into single binaries that the distributions won't strip.

So I think Fedora shouldn't be more willing to strip ddate than it
would be willing to patch out ddate functionality if it were embedded
in 'hwclock'.

There is a reasonable argument that util-linux ought to go on a diet:
Right now it appears to take up 6424k on disk.

(Though, most of that is localizations— and several of the various
NEWS/readme files it includes are bigger than ddate, as is its copy of
the GPL. This silly thread has probably taken up more disk space than
ddate, or it soon will)