[HEADS UP] remove ddate(1) command from rawhide

Karel Zak kzak at redhat.com
Mon Aug 29 15:00:38 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 08:47:40AM -0500, Jon Ciesla wrote:
> That may be (both are human constructs, it's like say "hey, that's made up
> word!", but no, I don't.  My point is simply that while it is extremely
> silly code, it is in fact code provided by upstream.  It's still
> maintained, is of a valid license, and I don't see a valid reason to break
> with upstream here.  If you can convince upstream to split it out or drop
> it, great.

 That's simple, I'm upstream maintainer. The command has been disabled
 by default in the last stable release. And yes, one I day I'll drop it...

> If not, and there isn't a compelling disk space or security
> argument, I really don't see why this should be dropped.  I'm looking for
> a clear example of demonstrable harm.  It's 14k of silliness, not a
> rootkit.

 - it's joke rather than anything useful
 - it's installed on all systems, but almost nobody uses this crap

   Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak at redhat.com>
 http://karelzak.blogspot.com