floppy support

Tomasz Torcz tomek at pipebreaker.pl
Tue Aug 30 20:28:31 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 04:25:18PM -0400, Przemek Klosowski wrote:
> On 08/30/2011 03:55 PM, Chris Adams wrote:
>
> > How many systems are there that "hang forever" when the floppy module is
> > loaded?  I have never seen that happen, on systems with or without
> > floppy drives, yet you seem to be saying it happens on vast numbers of
> > them (99.9% in an earlier message).
>
> It's not really 'forever', it just seems like 'forever'---remember those
> sounds that go 'bzzzzzzut.... bzzzzzzzut... bzzzzzzut...' when the
> floppy drive does a head seek during floppy controller init at boot.

  No, it really takes 30÷45 seconds before floppy module timeouts after
access to /dev/fd0.  Seems like eternity, especially if you have
no other output on screen during this time.

--
Tomasz Torcz                 "God, root, what's the difference?"
xmpp: zdzichubg at chrome.pl         "God is more forgiving."