Notice of intent: patching glibc

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Aug 31 06:59:41 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-08-31 at 08:50 +0200, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> Please wait until I am finished working on it.  This is not a bug that
> can be easily reproduced.

The Arch report claims a fully reliable reproducer:

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/24615

"I can 100% reliably reproduce it by creating an iptables reject rule
for DNS packets:
# iptables -A OUTPUT -p udp --dport 53 -j REJECT --reject-with
icmp-admin-prohibited
# wget http://google.com/
--2011-06-08 12:13:58-- http://google.com/
Resolving google.com... zsh: segmentation fault (core dumped)"

If, as the sourceware report claims, it's caused by servers returning
specific unusual responses, I'd guess it would also be possible to
reproduce by installing bind and intentionally configuring it 'wrong',
in such a way that it reliably returns one of the problematic responses.

If you're working on this I'm happy to leave it, but it would be good if
you would update the bug report to indicate this.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey