Oh god, my eyes (packaging a hairball of bundled PHP stuff, tt-rss)

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Aug 31 15:47:14 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 08:23:56AM -0700, Jorge Gallegos wrote:

> > > "At this time JavaScript intended to be served to a web browser is specifically exempted from this but this will likely change in the future."
> > >
> > > This explain why so much .js libraries are bundled in so much wedapps.
> >
> > Ah, thanks. I missed that. Still, it seems bad to be duplicating some
> > very popular js quite so much:
> >

> Actually, it makes perfect sense. Different frameworks release versions with
> different versions of jQuery or prototype. Trying to force all those packages
> to play nice with a single system-wide library is hell.
>
> Just imagine the scenario where, say, rails wants to ship version 1.1.5 but
> there's a security patch in Django that relies on 1.2.1 and they are not backwards
> compatible.

You could make the same argument for any library, and it would be just
as wrong.

Benefits from packaging Javascript once:

 - if there's a security problem, you just have to fix and update
   one package

 - no questions about "is the security problem fixed in <this random
   javascript file>"?

 - we can probably arrange it so that users of different web apps
   only download the javascript file once

 - no extra copies on disk

Rich.